What is a Spreadsheet
A spreadsheet is a table of values arranged in rows and columns. Each value can have a predefined relationship to the other values. If you change one value, therefore, you may need to change other values as well.
Google Drive is a free service from Google that allows you to store files online and access them anywhere using the cloud. Google Drive also gives you access to free web-based applications for creating documents, spreadsheets, and more.
These are the types of files you can create and share on Google Drive:
The problem here is, when we give someone our Google accounts passwords (or they hacked). It would not create a problem to our Spreadsheets because many of store the Important data such as bank accounts, web account details, etc.. So this method will provide you a security for the spreadsheet by encrypting the data in it.
Here I will guide you the step by step process to do it.
- Open from here and make a copy of protected sheet by clicking on it. If you wish you can rename it.
- At first, you have to go Tools in the in menus list. Then in that go to script editor by clicking on it. It opens a new window. ( Tools > Script editor )
- In that tab, click on the file menu, then go to manage versions and click on it. It opens a pop-up box, then in that description field, you can leave empty. And click on save a new version. Ok (Files > Manage Versions)
- Now, go to publish the menu, in that select Deploy as web app… and pop-up opens, you can leave the fields empty and click on deploy. ( Publish > Deploy as Web App)
- Then it asks for Authorization, click continues and allow it. Then it displays Current web app URL, no need to copy click ok. And Close that window.
- Come back to Spreadsheet and enter the data in it. Then go to Protect File menu and Click on Encrypt file and it asks you to choose the password. (Protect Files > Encrypt > Enter Password > Ok)
- Now, the data is changed to unknown format and you can decrypt it by going into Protect file menu decrypt file and enter the password. It’s done. (Protect Files > Decrypt File > Enter Password> Ok)
- If you wish can change your password by going in to protect file menu and change the password. (Protect Files>Change Password>Submit)
- It’s Finished, Now you have set-up a new Protected Google Spreadsheet.
It’s all about simple steps of creating a protected spreadsheet. If you have any queries or you like it please comment.